In the last 5 years that I have been coaching one of the most common issues that people tell me they have is that they feel lost and confused about what they are doing and where they are going. After just a couple of sessions I point out that they are usually better off than they realize. Let me tell you a quick story.
The story involves a businessman was on a trip. He was driving along for a little while and realized somewhere he had gotten off course and on a road that he did not want to be on. He was thinking of his upcoming presentation and instead of paying attention to the road he was thinking about his presentation. After we realized that he was on the wrong road he felt completely lost so we pulled into a gas station. Yes I know a man asking for directions, hard to believe is it? He asked an elderly gentleman that was behind the counter for assistance. The man smiled at him and said," let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you know where you started your trip from?" " Of course I do," the man answered. The man behind the counter then asked," do you know where you will end up?" " Of course I know that to am doing a presentation there," the man replied. Then the elderly gentleman behind the counter responded with," well in that case you are not lost you just need some directions."
There is a lot of truth in that story that we can apply to our everyday lives. Most people know where they began their journey in life and also what we dream about becoming in our life. Somewhere along the path of your journey of life you got off track. You may be on a road that you did not intend to travel down and now you feel stuck and lost in a little bit uncomfortable. You think you are lost but you still know, or at least most people do, where they would like to end up in life and before they retire. You just no longer know how to get there. All you really need are some directions and I want to give you 5 things that can get you back on the right path.
- 1. Find a mentor - there are many people in your life who are probably older and wiser I have traveled down the road that you would like to take. These people have the experience that you do not and a lot of them would be willing and able to help you along the way. It is important for you to have people in your life to challenge you and help you stretch. Finding a good mentor will help you do just that and help you overcome the challenges when you hit those bumps along the way or may steer you clear of those bumps.
- 2. Seek advice - find someone out there that is doing what you want to do. By seeking some advice about a possible career or career change or anything that you would like to do, talking with someone that is in that particular field may change your mind about even going into that field or maybe give you some insight on the good, the bad, and the ugly of that business. They can usually give you some insights that you cannot see from the outside looking in. It is usually not until you get into something and see all the inner workings of a career that you realize you do not want to deal with some of this. A good example was a man who was thinking about becoming a dentist. This man was about to graduate high school that year was seriously thinking about dental school. After a dental appointment one day he asked if his dentist would have some time to talk with him about it after his appointments. After the dentist talked with him and to his surprise the dentist told him," you really do not want to do this! If I had to do this all over again I probably would have chosen something different because right now I spend all day long looking in people's mouths and smelling their bad breath and trying to even get them to pay me at times. It is really not much fun at all." So seek out advice on what you are looking to do.
- 3. Do not be afraid to make mistakes - much of life is trial and error and when we make a mistake it does not have to be final. Learn from your mistakes and accept it as part of the success process because we should be learning from our mistakes. A mistake is not the end of the world and mistakes are made by the thousands if not millions every single day. Without over 1000 failures of his light bulb Edison would not have perfected his invention. By knowing what will not work it gets us a step closer to what will work. So do not be afraid to make mistakes.
- 4. Seek spiritual guidance - so what do I mean by this? I mean that you should realize that there is one who is greater than yourself who only wants to see you succeed and help guide you and help you through life. Everyone's life is not an accident and you are not some generality wandering around in some meaningless universe just wasting time. You are very unique and quite special. You are really being guided whether you believe it or not. Some people believe that they have gotten where they are by a set of lucky circumstances or coincidence. Someone once said that a coincidence is one God is at work and chooses to remain behind the scenes and anonymous. I truly believe that.
- 5. Recognize that it is never too late - I just saw on TV a 90-year-old lady did her college degree. There are stories throughout history like Col. Sanders and Kentucky fried chicken who started when he was 65 years old. Grandma Moses was late in her life when she started painting. The list goes on and on. Their attitude was a key ingredient to their success. We never know how much time we have here on this earth so if you have a dream you should be going after no matter what age you are.
So those are 5 simple yet extraordinary tips to give you exceptional success. These 5 tips will help you stay on your journey and give you direction so that you may end up at your desired destination. Stay on the right path and use these tips to experience the success that you want and deserve in your life.